Sunday, 17 November 2013
Work In Progress - On the Workbench
Although the weather in my little slice of heaven has not been conducive to airbrushing I did manage (finally!) to spray my Schneider CA1s in their base coat.
The picture above shows the various components of the two tanks on their painting stands. The stands themselves are made up square beading and dowel mounted on old offcuts of tablemats that are past their use by date. I also have some stands that have clothes pegs attached for holding small parts. I modify the ends of these pegs by sanding off the ends and/or sanding the ends to a taper.
The colour used for the yellow basecoat was Life Colour's acrylic "Italian Mimetic Yellow". This was thinned with their acrylic thinner by 3 parts colour and 1 part thinner. This gives a consistency like milk, which I find works well for me. I used my new Ryobi compressor for the first time for this job and was very happy with the results.
The actual airbrushing was done with a Badger single action airbrush.
I will give the tanks about a week to harden off completely before starting the first of the camouflage colours. More to follow.
Secondly, I have progressed a little further with the BA 64 Armoured Cars.
As can be seen in the photo above the hulls are now complete, with the exception of the radiator louvres, headlight and of course the turret.
Also in the photo at the rear is some castings I am working on of some Napoleonic 42nd Highlander Officers. There is also a Napoleonic Royal Marine Officer as well. I am an avid collector of the Britains Deetail range and was always disappointed that their English Napoleonic set had an Officer to lead their Line Infantry but no Officer to lead the 42nd Highlanders. I took a cast of their Line Officer and the head from the Airfix Highlander kit, carved away the sash from around the waist and added a new sash over the left shoulder. (Thanks Les!). The Royal Marine Officers head was from an Armies in Plastic Egyptian Army head with a brim from plastic sheet, straps and a plume from modelling putty. Putty was also used for the turn up on the brim. As these figures are for my own use I was happy to take castings from the original Britains figure. It sure beats carving up one!