Wednesday, 23 March 2016

The Maiden Voyage of HMQS Gayundah (the model!)

Finally Finished!


The Brisbane Courier 28th of March 1885


At long last I have completed my model of the Gayundah.    Regular readers of my blog may recall that I started her back in September of 2015.   I can happily report she has turned out in excess of expectations and I am extremely happy with her.   My problem now is finding somewhere to display her!

Anyway, some photos of the completed build.


Port Side
The rigging was simplified but enough was done to remain convincing.   Black thread was used for standing rigging and light tan for running rigging.


Stbd Side

The Queensland State flag was simply printed up on the home computer and attached to the aft Gaff.


Bow


Amidships

The Navigation lanterns were made from Lego Red and Green pieces and brass paint was used to simulate the brass casing.


Stbd Side Boat Deck


Stern

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the ship's boats were made up from a card whaleboat kit from Fiddler's Green, with the exception of the 12' Dory.   For this boat I used a product from an American company, Micro Glass.

I ordered two small hulls from them, the 12' Dinghy and the 13' Double ended Lifeboat.   I was presently surprised to find they had also include a Boston Whaler and a 10' Dinghy.   The postage to Australia was also very reasonable.


I guess I need to start looking for another project.   Whatever it is I don't think it will be a big a job as this last one!









14 comments:

  1. Awesome work Col. Lovely, how it all,came together so nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill! I'm pretty happy with her, even the wife is impressed!
      Cheers
      Col

      Delete
  2. Wow! You created an heirloom mate, can't wait to see it in the flesh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mate! You know where we live, anytime your down this way.
      Cheers
      Col

      Delete
  3. Great work,
    Really nice Implementation
    A fine collection of weapons
    Especially Nordenfelt guns
    who was the British fleet favorite weapon ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maxi, for your very kind comments. When I was a kid I was fascinated by the Nordenfeldt they had on display at the Museum in Melbourne, Victoria. I don't think it is on display at the new museum now. Probably too warlike!
      Cheers
      Col

      Delete
    2. I'd completely forgotten that Nordenfeldt at the museum! As a lad my fingers 'polished' that many times!

      Delete
    3. I must admit I was fascinated by that piece too. You could actually turn the training and elevation wheels and not get told off! Wouldn't happen today!

      Delete
  4. Fantastic work Col!
    Gives us all a target of excellence to aspire too!
    BTW have you assembled a crew during construction?
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Captain! High praise from a fellow scratchbuilder indeed! I always look forward to seeing your VSF constructions/contraptions. As for a crew, a mate of mine has bought me a couple of sets of suitable metal toy sailors, so just waiting for them.
      Cheers
      Col

      Delete
    2. Good news on the sailors, looking forward to seeing pictures of the Gayundah crewed!

      Delete
    3. Just have to send the Shore Patrol around all the local dens of inequity and dubious drinking holes!

      Delete
  5. This is a fantastic model. You've captured her magnificently!

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jim, for your very kind comments.
      Cheers
      Col

      Delete