Thursday, 24 December 2015

Christmas



I'd like to take the opportunity to wish my readers a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
This post will be another mash up of miscellanea, tying up loose ends and such.


First off...........

Girls, Girls, Girls!



These are the Pinup and Desert Battle offerings from Masterbox.
I have not made these up yet, but a quick look at the contents show they will be very compatible with 1/32 scale figures.   The Pinups will be part of my Pulp collection whilst the Skull Clan girls will form part my Sy Fy/Fantasy collection.   More female figures are on the way but I will leave them for a future post.


Speaking of Sy Fy, next up is a couple of bags of Starcraft 2 Terran Marines.   These are available from Blizzard, the producer of the Starcraft video game and were very good value for the money.
   I obviously have to paint them and I am currently researching colour schemes markings etc.   Just the three poses, so some conversion work may be needed.  54mm in size.


Of course Space Marines need something to grind into the dirt so Blizzard also offer Zerglings.


Again, just the three poses, but I can live with that.
The masters were apparently modelled in a 3D environment and then tweaked physically once printed out to produce the finished miniatures.   Very intricate detail for a injection moulded model.


Readers may remember I made a reference in a earlier post regarding a secret project for a friend of mine in Scotland.    Les casually mentioned to me, he was wanting to wargame the conflict in Shanghai during the 1920's.
Of course, the iconic 1920 Pattern Rolls Royces were an integral part of the British Forces during the period so I made him one using spare parts leftover from my Rolls Royce 1920 Pattern build.



The Shanghai Rolls Royces were fitted with what was known as a Top Hat Turret.  This turret gave more protection to the vehicle commander when opened.  I also made the turret hatch open so as he could fit a crew figure if required.

A couple of miscellaneous items I sourced from a $2.00 shop.   These were cake separators, 4 to a bag and very cheap.   Once a bit of weathering is applied they should come up very nicely.   Of course, that means I will have to scratchbuild some sort of pediment to go on top sometime in the future.


The little dinosaur is a Allosaurus from the Schleich miniature dinosaur range.   Just right for Pulp Fiction gaming!

I finally obtained the last of the New Ray WW1 aircraft collection.   This one is the French Spad.   This will join my other WW1 aircraft.



Lastly, a little while ago I built a number of Universal Carriers.

In addition to the Standard English model I also made two examples of the Australian built version, the LP2.
This differed mainly in the construction of the bow/front and stowage on the rear deck.
I realised that I never produced any photos.

The two models are armed with a Vickers MG and a Boys anti tank rifle.
Decals are from Archer.



So, until next year, have a good Holiday Season and I hope Santa gets you what you wanted!
Cheers








Saturday, 12 December 2015

HMQS Gayundah - Pt 8


Progress has been a little slow of late, the work itself is time consuming but very enjoyable nonetheless.
Below is my method of preparing the deadeyes so that they can be attached to the chain plates and the shrouds.
A simple jig was prepared to facilitate the attachment of the brass jump ring with ordinary black cotton thread.   This was just a series of overhand knots tied until I felt it was going to be strong enough.   The round deadeyes are Artesania Latina 8506 and the triangular style, no idea.   I have had them for years!


Once all the deadeyes had been rigged a start was made on the actual shrouds and ratlines.
Again a simple jig, or Rigging Board (not my idea, I stole it!) was made up using scrap MDF and household pins.   In the photo below you can also see the various threads used in the construction of the rigging.
Plain white cotton thread, DMC #8 Perle cotton, plain black cotton thread and what appears to be about .5 to .8 mm pure cotton thread.   This was sourced from the Jewellery makings section of a $2.00 shop.   It has a plasticized feel to it and was used to make the Backstays and other parts of the rigging.
   Lastly the actual thread I used for the Shrouds (the verticals of the Ratlines) was described as leather cord, 1mm.   I don think it's leather, more like a plasticized cotton.   Its braided and made it easier to sew the actual ratlines through it.   The ratlines were made from the DMC Perle.

Sheer Poles were made up from plastic strip with suitably sized holes drilled to take the Shrouds and Backstay.


 Almost completed Fwd Shrouds and Ratlines.   I still have to tidy up the Lanyards (which tie the two deadeyes together). 

Again, almost completed Shrouds and Ratlines.



The Guardrail stanchions have all now been fitted and the FX is almost complete.
I am awaiting an order of brass wire so that I can finish the Guardrails.
Navel pipes were let into the Fwd bulkhead, these were just rubber grommets superglued over a hole and painted black.   The two lengths of cable were then secured inboard and the Boat Deck was then attached.


The after Guardrails attached and wired up.


Finally, an overall view of Gayundah as she is presently.
Yards and Rigging still to be fitted.