Sunday, 15 February 2015

54 mm Pulp

Just a quick one.    Firstly, a big Welcome Aboard to James, of the The Dancing Cake Tin.   Thank you  for the very kind comments regarding my Blog.

Secondly, I inquired on that most esteemed of Forums - Littlewars, on the subject of 54mm Pulp.   A genre very well supported by the manufacturers of 28mm figures but not so much in this, the one True Scale!   The general consensus I gathered from the responses was that obviously Demand and Supply play a big factor in helping manufacturers decide what subjects to produce, but there was indeed a number of figures that could be converted with little or no effort.   The Marx Daktari and Gangster sets, Accoutrements Angry Mob set, AiPs Boers, cowboys etc.
Notwithstanding the above I thought I would have a go at converting a few figures myself.


From left to right they are as follows:
Tough with Baseball Bat -  Airfix Multi Pose with puttied trousers and cap.

Charbens Arab with DSG replacement sword

Dr H.W.Jones - Multipose with scratchbuilt Fedora.   Whip is from stretched sprue.   A fortunate accident...whilst stretching the sprue over the gas flame it slipped from my grasp and assumed a really good "whip"shape!   His belts were cut from thick foil from an aluminium roasting tray.   The buckles were cut from square mesh and superglued on.

Bad Guy - Knock off Chinese Red Indian torso, Dorset Soldiers Sikh head and lower body my own sculpt.   DSG scimitar.

Charbens Arab - as above and lastly,

Female Adventurer - Pirate from Pirate vs Skeltons playset with puttied additions.

Obviously a lot more work to be done, especially on the eyes.   Still trying to get rid of that "Wild Eyed Boy from Freecloud"look.
Updates as the project progresses.

2 comments:

  1. The thing about eyes is that you really don't see any white above or below the iris. So paint the eyes first-the whole socket area should be white. The paint the iris as a vertical stripe down the middle. Then fill in the eyelids horizontally, leaving a patch of white on either side of the iris..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu. I've taken that onboard. I did try to reduce the eye size on my second (or was it my third) attempt, but I still need to work on them!
      Cheers
      Col

      Delete