Wednesday, 28 January 2015

Universal Carrier - Part 5

With the main superstructure complete, attention was turned to fitting out the vehicles.


Masters of the seats and seat backs were made up in Milliput and then cast in sets of three.   The seats were framed with .20 x .60 thou strip and a packing piece added to give the required height when fitted to the vehicle.   The Gunner's seat being higher than the Driver's seat.   The seat backs had a backing of .10 thou applied to simulate the framework behind them.   They were then applied to vehicle with the exception of the Gunner's seat.   This was left unattached to facilitate painting.

The gear sticks were made up .8 mm brass wire and little glass beads which were two dollars a bag.   However, to paraphrase Napoleon from Animal Farm, "Not all glass beads are created equal"!   Being made of glass there is some variation in the sizes and holes in the beads.   It was just a matter of being selective.  Some .60 x .188 strip and some .20 thou strip were used to make the gear stick housing.


The springs on the suspension units were added next.   Masters were turned from toothpicks on my Hobby Lathe and castings were taken using a two part mould.   I have found the secret to making good two part castings is plenty of airways to let the air escape from the mould as the resin is being poured (this eliminates air bubbles) and a good sized Gate which allows the weight of the resin to force itself into the mould. (also allows for easier pouring)



Headlights were made up using castings I had from earlier models and were secured with a short length of pin and false brackets added to the sides.   The "control boxes"were made up  from sheet and strip with the gauges punched out in thin plastic sheet.   Steering wheels were from Pendle Scale Racing but unfortunately I cannot remember the brand!
Various boxes were made up from strip and sheet and the No 11 Radio was made up as well.   In hindsight, this was one time I should have made a master and cast them up but sometimes it's not always about the easy way!   The last things to be made up were the fire extinguishers which I turned up in the Dremel and detailed with little bits of strip. 

The 3"Mortar Carrier required a little more work in that it needed all the fittings that made it a mortar carrier!   This included baseplates, mortar tube, mortar rounds and stowage.


In the photo above you can see the mortar tube and tripods plus some stowage items such as bed rolls and flimsies.   The Airfix mortar I used for reference is on the right.


The completed 3"Mortar Carrier.


The standard Universal Carrier MkII.


The Australian version of the Universal Carrier, the Local Pattern 2.   Note the raised air intake for the radiator and different angled bow plate.   Still a little more work to do on this mainly the rear stowage boxes.


A covey of Carriers.

In the last post on this vehicle, if the weather permits, I hope to present some of the Carriers painted and decaled.











10 comments:

  1. Fantastic work!!!! some for sale?
    which brand?
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Vitalino. I'm sorry, but these have all been spoken for. If I decide to make some more in the future I will let you know.
    Cheers
    Col

    ReplyDelete
  3. I comment if some are to sell because I like the WWI vehicles
    and you have some
    some of these are for sale ?

    Regards

    Vitas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Vitas. Sorry Mate but I don't have any thing for sale at the moment. I will be doing some more WW1 vehicles later in the year, so I'll let you know when and what I plan to do.
    Cheers
    Col

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just awesome mate, will try to see these in the flesh next week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mate! Hopefully if the weather holds I should have started to undercoat them. Looking forward to seeing you.
      Cheers
      Col

      Delete
  6. Absolutely amazing work. Everything you do is genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BF! I think Jane Austen said it best "To flatter and follow others, without being flattered and followed in turn, is but a state of half enjoyment."
      Cheers
      Col

      Delete
  7. excellent work you have encoraged me to have a go at building from scratch German anti tank guns
    thanks Johm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You John! I am extremely pleased that I have inspired you with regards to scratchbuilding. Please let me know how they turn out. If I can be of assistance, do not hesitate to ask.
      Cheers
      Col

      Delete