Sunday, 27 April 2014

General Service Wagons Complete

At long last, I finally got the GS wagons completed.
Two bases, cut from scrap Perspex, were prepared and the edges rounded off with the bench sander. 
Holes were drilled to take the pinned hooves of the horses and a wire for a front and rear wheel on each wagon.   The reverse of the holes were countersunk so that some superglue could be pooled in after the pins and wires were inserted.


The bases were then coated with a layer of woodworking (white) glue and sawdust, courtesy of my Drop Saw, was applied quite thickly and pressed into the white glue.   This was left to dry.   Once dry, gravel, small stones and ground foam was added to the top of the bases and secured with white glue diluted with water and a drop or two of dish washing liquid.   The dish washing liquid helps the glue solution to penetrate more easily i.e makes it less aquaphobic!

The bases were then given washes of various earthy Acrylic paints until I was happy with the final appearance


The two wagons were spray painted with Tamiya enamels, the green wagon using TS 28 Olive Drab 2 and the grey wagon TS 32 Haze Grey.   Bits of Iron work were picked out in Vallejo Black.    The tires on the wheels were painted with Vallejo Gunmetal.   A coat of satin varnish finished the job.

Once the wagons and horse were fitted/pinned to the bases, the centre shaft was fitted and the traces were attached.   In the past, to simulate traces, I have used electrical tape (with the sticky removed) cut into thin strips and applied to the various D Rings and so forth.   This time I used plain old paper, folded in half and glued along its length, folding it over as required at the D rings.   I pre-coloured the paper with a brown Texta but after fitting the traces, went over them again with thinned Vallejo acrylic.





Tuesday, 15 April 2014

WW1 GS Wagon - Horses and Swingles!

The horses and the harness/drawbar gear that attaches the horses to the wagons was constructed next.   The horses used were the CTS Draught horses which come with all that draught tack already molded on.    The horses were modified slightly by removing the large peg on the middle of their backs and two tiny eye bolts per horse were attached to where the traces would attach to the bottom of the market strap.   Small D rings were attached to the eye bolts.   If it sounds like I know my way around horses, I don't!   I am using this excellent diagram from this website:


Tiny brass O rings were formed from fine wire as were small D rings.   An alternative to hand making these parts is to scour your local hobby shop for model ship's fittings as they produce a large range of metal hardware for rigging eyes etc.


The eveners (the long bars) were then cut and fitted with eye bolts and O rings.   In the example above the I cut the eveners down in length eventually as they were too long.    They were then attached to the hounds (the part that sticks out at the front, attached to the axle assembly).   The swingles (the smaller bars) were also fitted with eye bolts, O rings and D rings.   They were then attached to the eveners.


Completed swingles and eveners.

The horses were readied for mounting on the base with 2 pins per animal drilled into the bottom of their hooves and mounted on scrap board, after getting a wash in hot soapy water, ready for undercoating.    Dulux Quick Dry Metal Primer was the paint of choice.


The horses were then base coated in Folk Art acrylics.   Two in Provincial Beige, One in Raw Umber and the last in Paynes Grey (an almost black grey)


The horses were then treated to various washes.   The black horse got a wash of Vallejo black ink, the lighter brown horses received washes of Vallejo Pale Skin Wash and the darker brown, Dark Skin Wash.   After drying they were then dry brushed to bend all the colours together.   I should add the washes were give a drop or two of Acrylic Flow Medium.    I think this helped to stop any beading of the wash on the horses.   The lower legs were also drybrushed with a mixture of Paynes Grey for the most part with one horse getting a Bone White sock.   Harness and collars were picked out in suitable leathery colours. 


Finally they were given a coat of White Knight Satin Varnish.   Cared for horses usually have a slight sheen to their coats so the satin varnish helps to reproduce this.






Sunday, 6 April 2014

WW1 General Service Wagon


The bodies of the GS wagons are now basically complete.   Some minor detailing still has to be done but the bulk of work is done.   
The seats were made up using the spring castings described in the previous post, styrene strip and sheet and brass strip for the seat back supports.   Fine brass wire was also used for the arm rails on the seats.
Once these sub assemblies were made up, they were then attached to the wagon bodies.





The rakes or hungry boards were constructed next.   I was originally going to cast up the brackets used to support the rails of the rakes but ended up making the 16 required by hand from sheet styrene.   This did not take as long as I thought it would, the NWSL Chopper again proving it's worth.   These brackets were then attached to the wagon sides.


The rails were then added to the brackets, making sure they were parallel and evenly spaced.
Finally the brake handles were made up from thick copper wire which was hammered and filed into shape.   The brake handle holders were made up from styrene strip and sheet.

Some of you may have noticed that the seats seem to be a little higher than what is normally modelled on GS Wagons.   This is because most GS Wagons seen now, both in model form and reconstructed/preserved, are the Mk 10 version.    My models are of the Mk 7, which was used in the late 1800's.   I guess at a pinch they could be used for WW1 but are suitable for the Boer War and Colonial Wars in general.

In the next post I hope to deal with the horses, bases and painting.