Monday, 6 October 2014

Rolls Royce Armoured Cars - Part 4

The Body.

Construction of the body commenced with the marking and cutting out of the "floor".   40 thou plastic sheet was used and the salient points and cutting lines were lightly scribed as well as pencilled in.   This lets you know where to cut and place parts if the pencil lines are accidently erased (or rubbed off!)
A set of dividers were used to mark out the circular section of the hull sides.



A 16 mm hole was drilled in the floor in order to obtain access for securing the turret pivot pin from underneath.
Next, the driver's front bulkhead was cut from 40 thou and was braced with some of the offcuts from the angled sections of the floor.   Bracing, if done correctly does two things.  One, it will help to strengthen the model and two, ensure parts are in alignment and square.
I have found it pays off when you have cut your bracing pieces, to lightly file the corners of the meeting surfaces.   This ensures no little burrs are left behind and the brace will glue true and straight.   Another piece of .40 thou was added to the front of the driver's bulkhead to aid in attachment of the bonnet pieces.


The "firewall" bulkheads were then cut and the braces and glue tabs were added and the complete assembly glued into position.


The glue tabs were just little pieces of .40 x .40 thou strip.   These aid in attaching the sides and tops of the bonnets.   The two sides of the rear of the bonnet were made up and attached.   Then came the top of the rear bonnet and the triangular sloping sections.


The sides of the bonnets were cut and glued to the floor, with glue tabs, again from .40 thou square strip, being used to assist in achieving a solid bond.   The sides were braced with more offcuts and glue tabs attached to the top edges.   A start was made on the iconic radiator, which, for the most part will not be all that visible!


In the photo above you can see the steps needed to make up the radiators.   A backing piece of .40 thou of the required dimension was cut and strips of .40 x.60 thou strip were applied to the edges.   These were made over length and then trimmed once the glue had dried.   A packing piece of .10 thou was glued in and  a piece of fine brass mesh was inserted.   Small strips of .10 thou were glued top and bottom.   This gave the .40 thou rod a good gluing surface and after they were applied another two strips of .10 thou were glued at the top and bottom.   A piece of .60 x .80 strip was cut to length and the top filed down to achieve the sloping profile.   This was then glued to the top of the radiator.


The bonnet covers were constructed after a card template was made up and the .20 thou plastic sheet was used, cut slightly oversize.   They were filed down after the glue had dried thoroughly.   A little triangular fillet was added to the top of the radiator, flush with the front of the bonnet sides, as well.


In preparation for the sides of the driver's compartment, 6 braces, made from .80 x .188 thou plastic strip were glued in position, flush with the external edge.   These braces had the arris edge filed off the contacting surfaces.   They were also cut to length so as to allow them to act as supports for the roof when that is attached.   A 7th brace, made from thinner strip, was added at the very rear of the drivers compartment, on the centre line.   Glue tabs were also added to the rear of the driver's bulkhead.


A cardboard template, to establish length and the 1 mm cut-out where the rear of the side crosses over the floor was used to make up the sides from .20 thou sheet.   The side vision ports were cut out and the sides were then attached to the floor and braces starting from the front.   The sides were glued progressively along their length, clamping as I went.


The roof was cut out from .40 thou sheet to the required shape and glued in.    I had made the side 1 mm higher than the finished side so after the roof had dried, the top edge was filed down flush with the roof.    Any gaps were made good with a bit of Squadron white putty.


In the picture above you can see the finished roof in the foreground (just needs sanding ) and a partly completed roof at the rear.

In the next post I hope to finish off the rear tray, fit the running boards and make a start on the turret.






  




3 comments:

  1. Nice Col, lovely attention to detail mate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!! These are looking very nice so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice craftsmanship here, and you make it seem so easy...

    ReplyDelete