Saturday, 13 September 2014

Back in the Saddle Again !!!



I have probably been conspicuous by my absence and I'll be the first to admit I was having some burnout problems.  Though as someone famously said at Leyte, in the Phillipines", on the 20th of October 1944.... I Have Returned!!

So the model I have chosen to make is the Rolls Royce Armoured Car 1914 Pattern.


These particular vehicles have long been a favourite of mine, particularly in the employ of the Royal Naval Air Service and of course the Middle East in WW1.   Little known is that a section of Rolls Royce ACs were also at Gallipoli.

Quite a while ago I obtained some suitable wire spoked wheel sets, which, while not absolutely perfect are good enough to convey the right sort of impression.   These were sourced from Pendle Slot Racing and are CARTRIX 1030 Classic Rims set.    Suitable rubber tyres were also purchased.

The first job undertaken was to cut the main longitudinal chassis frame members and cross pieces to length.   This was done using Evergreen .60 x .188 thou strip.   The trusty NWSL Chopper was employed to ensure accuracy.


Once the chassis frame members were cut, an arched section at the front of each frame member was then ground out using the Dremel.   This was done in groups of four to ensure uniformity.


The chassis cross member frames were then glued into position.   There will be a total of three per chassis.


The next part will continue on with the chassis, springs and wheels.





9 comments:

  1. welcome back , go the rolls-royce , thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave! It's good to be back. Have got a long list of vehicles I want to build! Stay Tuned.
    Cheers
    Col

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moi (Hi)
    Fine photo.
    I shake with laughter every time, I see this picture, man, and special, this horse
    The horse's front legs, and this position ...
    Very good character, but I don't like Lee Marvin person

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to give you a laugh Maxi!
    Cheers
    Col

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great start, looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool mate, looking forward to seeing this, I recently ordered one in 1/72

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice choice. It's a classic; I wonder if any were used in the TransCaspian during the Russian Civil War

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tough question Mike. I know they were part of the Archangel Expedition in 1917 and a Rolls staff car was also included. I assume they would have been either Bolshevik or captured from their original owners. Better minds than mine will no doubt know!

    ReplyDelete