Sunday, 27 April 2014
General Service Wagons Complete
At long last, I finally got the GS wagons completed.
Two bases, cut from scrap Perspex, were prepared and the edges rounded off with the bench sander.
Holes were drilled to take the pinned hooves of the horses and a wire for a front and rear wheel on each wagon. The reverse of the holes were countersunk so that some superglue could be pooled in after the pins and wires were inserted.
The bases were then coated with a layer of woodworking (white) glue and sawdust, courtesy of my Drop Saw, was applied quite thickly and pressed into the white glue. This was left to dry. Once dry, gravel, small stones and ground foam was added to the top of the bases and secured with white glue diluted with water and a drop or two of dish washing liquid. The dish washing liquid helps the glue solution to penetrate more easily i.e makes it less aquaphobic!
The bases were then given washes of various earthy Acrylic paints until I was happy with the final appearance
The two wagons were spray painted with Tamiya enamels, the green wagon using TS 28 Olive Drab 2 and the grey wagon TS 32 Haze Grey. Bits of Iron work were picked out in Vallejo Black. The tires on the wheels were painted with Vallejo Gunmetal. A coat of satin varnish finished the job.
Once the wagons and horse were fitted/pinned to the bases, the centre shaft was fitted and the traces were attached. In the past, to simulate traces, I have used electrical tape (with the sticky removed) cut into thin strips and applied to the various D Rings and so forth. This time I used plain old paper, folded in half and glued along its length, folding it over as required at the D rings. I pre-coloured the paper with a brown Texta but after fitting the traces, went over them again with thinned Vallejo acrylic.