Saturday, 3 August 2013

IJA Ho-Ha Armoured Personnel Carrier


The Type 1 Ho-Ha  was a Japanese Half Track Personnel Carrier produced in few numbers in 1944.
The Ho-Ha was based on the German Sdkfz 251 Hanomag APC and could carry 12 men.  Many Ho-Has were lost when the Transport carrying them was sunk by an American submarine.   Those that remained in Japan became Garbage Trucks after the war.
These were some of my earliest attempts at scratchbuilding AFVs/Softskins.


Construction was again using 20 and 40 thou plastic sheet for the body.   The front wheels were taken from Ertl rear tractor wheels.   The road wheels on the tracked units were from old game counters from some long forgotten board game.   Brass wire was shaped using a simple jig to get the same shape for the Tilt Hoops. 


The Ho-Has were base coated in a Tamiya Desert sand colour and the camouflage was applied using Humbrol green and brown.


An unusual model, not normally modelled, made a little difficult due to the lack of decent drawings.   Reference was made to a 1/72nd scale kit plan and as many photographs as I could muster.


5 comments:

  1. Very cool Blog mate, link added

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Al, and BZ on your blog mate. Some very interesting posts there. Great food for thought, even if it is Braille Scale :)

      Delete
  2. Your blog and creations are amazing. I particularly admire your Ho-Ha transports of August 2013. I am a BA player myself and I am looking to mechanize my Japanese forces. I was wondering if there is any chance if I could see the schematics (if existing of course) as a base for my own Ho-Ha creations. Otherwise i would be very grateful if you could give me some tips on creating and assembling the halftracks on a 1:56 / 57 scale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many Thanks Ruud, for your kind comments regarding the blog and models. I have been a bit slack of late with no activity on the blog but hope to restart soon. With regards to the Ho-Has, give me a day or so and I will gather up as much info I can find and send it onto you.
      Cheers
      Col

      Delete
  3. G'day Ruud. Can you post your email address as a comment (I won't publish it of course!) so I can send you the info on the Ho-Has.
    Cheers
    Col

    ReplyDelete